10 November 2006

All Our Kidnapped n-grams are Belong to You


If you got here from the link in the line in my previous post: "this proposition is easily tested," this post originally contained a complete copy of Bill Turkel's Digital History Hacks,
“On N-gram Data and Automated Plagiarism Checking” (October 03, 2006). My doing so was intended to be a reductio ad absurdum spoof, for which in his comment, he shows great forbearance. In any event, I can make the same point in much less space, and much less rudely, with this note.

1 Comments:

Blogger William J. Turkel said...

John, I don't know if this constitutes a transgression or not. On the one hand, it is exactly the kind of copying that a mechanical plagiarism detector can easily find. On the other hand, you leave in apparently self-referential hyperlinks that actually point to Digital History Hacks. If you were really trying to pass this off as your own work, you would have changed those to point to Participant Historian. Also, since you are currently a student in my class, I know you aren't trying to pass it off as your own work, and thus it isn't plagiarism. By the way, I agree with your characterization of the size of n, and also agree that legal boilerplate is not actually plagiarism. What do you think of spam?

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home